The Master in Facilities Management (MFM) program at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) stands as a pioneering initiative in Nigeria, recognized as the first of its kind and esteemed as a professional master’s program. Inaugurated in 2006 under the auspices of the Lagos, Nigeria Chapter of the International Facility Management Association (IFMA), this groundbreaking program is a testament to UNILAG’s commitment to advancing education in the field of facilities management.
Housed within the Department of Estate Management in the Faculty of Environmental Sciences, the MFM program is meticulously structured to provide knowledge-based and practical training, catering specifically to industry-based professionals. The curriculum is intricately designed to address the multifaceted challenges posed by globalization, IT compliance, and the evolving quality requirements driven by end-users in today’s highly competitive world.
Tailored for working professionals with backgrounds in the built environment disciplines, the program facilitates a holistic understanding of facilities management.
Lectures are scheduled on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. This strategic timing caters to the needs of professionals aiming to enhance their expertise while managing work commitments.
The program spans 18 calendar months, equivalent to three semesters, ensuring a comprehensive exploration of the subject matter. Prospective candidates can gain entry into the program if they possess a Bachelor’s (honours) degree in various built environment disciplines from the University of Lagos or any recognized University. Alternatively, candidates from other disciplines can qualify if they provide valid proof of three years of ongoing employment in a facility management-related role within an organization or department.
Other entry requirements include a minimum of three years’ post-qualification experience in respective fields and membership in a relevant professional body such as NIA, NIESV, NIOB, NSE, NIQS, or their equivalents. Additionally, candidates may undergo a selection process to meet the department’s criteria for admission.
MFM Programme Entry/Admission Requirements
Candidates to be admitted into the Master in Facilities Management programme are required to possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of second class lower divisionin Estate Management, Architecture, Building, Quantity Surveying, Surveying & Geo-informatics, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgy and Material Engineering, System Engineering and other related built environment disciplines from the University of Lagos or any other recognized University; or Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of second class lower division in any other discipline with at least 3 years of work experience in a Facility Management related job or in a Facility Management organization or department.
- Possess at least three years’ post-qualification experience in their respective fields, NYSC inclusive.
- Membership of a relevant professional body such as NIA, NIESV, NIOB, NSE, NIQS and other relatedassociations in Nigeria, or their foreign equivalents will be an added advantage.
- Candidates may be required to satisfy the Department in a selection process.
Duration of the MFM Programme
The MFM program lasts for 18 calender months (3 semesters). it is a part-time programme.
Schedule of Lectures
Lectures are held as follows:
Thursdays: 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Fridays: 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Saturdays: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Courses offered include:
- Facilities Management Principles
- Facilities Design and Procurement
- Theory and Practice of Strategic Management
- Building Pathology and Environmental Analysis
- Facilities Maintenance
- Electricity and Energy Management in Buildings
- Computer Aided Facilities Management
- Strategic Property Assets Management
- Professional Facilities Management Practice
- Seminar in the Management of Specialized Facilities
In essence, the MFM program at UNILAG emerges not only as an educational endeavor but also as a transformative experience aimed at nurturing adept professionals in the dynamic field of facilities management.